- Subscription Boxes
- Cozy Shop
- Little Lime
- Outlet Sale
We all know that becoming a first time parent can seem overwhelming, and stressful. You're feeling that anxiety of, "how am I going to do this?"
Well you are not alone, and you are not the first new mom and you won't be the last! You can do it! It's going to be the busiest time of your life, but it's also going to be the most rewarding and amazing!
Check out these tips and tricks that can help you stay calm, and prepared when you become a new mom.
1. Treat yourself - we all know that it is almost looking like it's going to be impossible to have any time for yourself with a baby on your hip or in your arms. But we also know that every woman feels better with washed hair and even newly cut or highlighted/dyed hair. Pass the newborn off to your partner or a sitter for a little bit, and try and sneak to the salon for an hour or two. OR before your new baby is born try and take a day to pamper yourself.
2. Nighttime diaper tricks - (a)To try and avoid that middle of the night 2 am diaper change, throw your newborn in a diaper one size up. It helps absorb more, and can hold a bit more that just one accident, so they can feel dry for longer. (b) Pre-fill some diapers with ointment for their bottoms, this can help save time in the middle of the night, when you're just trying to get back to sleep as fast as possible.
3. Don't forget the baby monitor- When travelling with a new baby it can be so hard the first time to remember everything; even if you are just going for a dinner party at a friends. Did you put that baby down and realize that you forgot the monitor? Don't worry! Check out this app: codegoo.com/page/baby-monitor ($4.99). Place your phone near the sleeping baby, and if there is noise detected it will call the number of your choice.
4. Life one handed - Carrying around your little one all day, you might feel like you can't get anything done! Check out some of these things you can do with one hand, and not get frustrated: cook spaghetti, fold baby clothes and put in drawers, whip up a smoothie, write thank you notes, wrap a gift in a bag with tissue paper, feed a pet, wipe the counter, drink tea, and so much more! Use your imagination.
5. Get some zzz's - But how you ask? The golden rule to a new baby is, when the baby sleeps, you sleep! Every little bit of downtime that you can get with the newborn will help you stay healthy, calm, and happy.
6. Be Prepared - anytime you step out of the house (especially the first time) it can be extremely overwhelming. Be as prepared as possible. Have a diaper bag, with a couple extra bottles, lots of diapers, extra clothing, snacks, and a toy or two. Extra Tip: When you get home make sure to replenish the diaper bag right away with whatever you used (with the exception of milk) so it is ready to go for the next time and you don't have to worry about what is, or is not in the bag.
7. Daily time for yourself - Even if you only get 10 minutes, read a book, take a power nap, take a bath, go for a walk, whatever you feel like doing that day. But step away from the baby, breathe, and just rebuild your energy. During this time make sure you aren't thinking of all the laundry you have to do, or all the dishes that are on the counter. Really take this time to breathe, and just be.
8. Don't be afraid to ask for help! - They say it takes a village for a reason.
9. Resist clothing with tons of snaps or buttons - As cute as they may look on some outfits, having to do these up sleep deprived at 1am, 3am, 5 am is going to be a nightmare!
10. ENJOY IT! - life goes by in the blink of an eye! Try and soak up every snuggle moment, every cry, every laugh and every day!